Lost Goyt Valley farmhouses
When Samuel Grimshawe purchased the Errwood Estate in 1832 it included some 20 working farms. Most of the families had worked this land for generations. But when Mary, the last of there Grimshawes, died in 1930, and Stockport Corporation purchased the estate to build the twin reservoirs, life for these farming families was about to change dramatically. Virtually all the houses on the estate, including the Grimshawe’s fine country house, Errwood Hall, were soon reduced to rubble.
Click on any photo to enlarge and view captions, and then scroll through the collection. And click here for detailed information and census records on each house.